Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Settling In

I am now officially checked out of my dorm and have everything moved into my apartment. I was trying to find a place to put all of my clothes today and was so sick of moving that I just quit putting them away. Now it's driving me crazy because there are boxes of clothes in my room, but I am done for today. Molly and I were so tired when we got to work this morning because we worked so hard moving yesterday. We basically moved everything and got it almost all put away in around seven hours, an amazing feat.

I have to say that I really like apartment life. It's so nice to be able to just hang out but not have to do it in the same room I sleep in. We haven't been grocery shopping yet, so we haven't been able to take advantage of the oven, but just knowing it's here is fantastic. I don't think I'm going to be able to handle moving into the dorm in the fall. I wish I could just think of it like I had gone home for the summer because I would have had most of the same luxuries, but it's definitely not the same thing. At home I'm in the middle of nowhere instead of the middle of Nashville and living at home is nothing like living alone. Even though my parents don't really restrict me when I'm home, it's so much different living at Belmont, especially now that I'm not taking classes and living in an apartment.

I'm excited about seeing my parents tomorrow. They are coming to take me out to dinner and buy me some groceries. I'm really glad that they work closer to me than we live and it's not out of the question for me to see them in the middle of the week. It's hard for me to get home because my work schedules keep me from having a significant block of time to spend there and make the gas worth it. As much as I like the freedom of being here alone, I also enjoy seeing my parents and getting to spend time with them. I'm also totally okay with the fact that they are going to buy me groceries. Some people would see that as dependence, which it is, but I'm okay with dependence. Until a few weeks ago, I thought I would be living with them this summer, in which case they would have been buying all of my groceries, so I don't have any problem at all admitting that I could use their help.

Overall things are much different than I ever expected or imagined, but I'm enjoying my current situation. I'm still looking forward to what's going to happen this summer, and I am planning to have a fantastic summer.

No comments: