Sunday, May 11, 2008

One Down, Three to Go (At Least)

It feels like it's been forever since I've posted anything here, but I was a little stressed at the end of the semester. I'm so glad it's finally over!

I was just looking at my last posts and realized that a lot has happened since my last one. At the beginning of the year I was hoping to have a major, and the search was an unfruitful one, but I did finally declare. I was going to declare Spanish with an English lit minor, but when I started looking at the lit minor I realized I might as well double major because I was way ahead on an English degree and too far behind on Spanish to take much next year. So I am officially a Spanish/English double major. The problem with this is I don't have a clue what I want to do with those degrees, but I guess it's at least good to have a direction. I did learn this semester that I will definitely not be a political science major, or ever take another political science class for that matter. That just isn't my thing.

My major isn't the only big event in my life; I also got a job at Belmont for the summer with ResLife. I expected to go home after my first year of college and spend the summer working in Cookeville or Gainesboro, but this job came up and I'm staying in Nashville for the summer. It's still really crazy to me that I'm not going home, but I'm excited. I work at ResLife during the week and am staying at the mansion on the weekends. I am moving out of my dorm tomorrow into one of the apartments on campus, and I feel like a real adult. I have to feed myself and work a full time job, and it's all very surreal. With all of this comes the weirdness of being here when all of my friends went home. As of tomorrow I will have a roommate again, but it's still strange to be here without Kristen and Rebecca. Heather is here for the summer too, and we are planning to have a specified girls' night each week which will be fun, but so far I have spent a lot of time alone reading. I think things will eventually settle down and I will find people to hang out with, but for now I just feel a little lonely. This was such a huge change that I'm still trying to adjust.

It's amazing to me that I'm finished with my freshman year. It seems like yesterday I was convinced that working at Starbucks for the rest of my life would be better than staying in school (and I would still love to be a Starbucks employee instead of a student, but I don't see it in the picture--yet). I finished the year with good grades and learned that I can handle college, even though this time last year I was terrified that JCHS hadn't prepared me. I even survived year one in the honors program with plans to stick with it. In some ways I feel like I've grown a lot this year, but at the same time I feel like I'm the same old Kindall.

Overall I'm really happy with the way life is going now. Since I'm not in school things are so much simpler. I'm also thrilled about what God is doing in my life right now. My walk has been a little crazy lately, and I feel like God is settling me down and drawing me into him. He's letting me fall in love with him all over again and showing me some amazing things. I don't know where things are going to go, but I'm ready to just enjoy this relationship that is being renewed. I'm so amazed all the time with God's mercy and his willingness to pursue me all the time, even when I'm not doing such a good job of pursuing him.

Now that I've basically moved out of my house and I'm spending my summer here in Nashville I'm looking forward to the new adventure. I feel like this summer is going to be fantastic, and I am curious to see how I grow and what I become through it all.

No comments: