Sunday, July 13, 2008

Enough Like Old Times

When I left home to come to Belmont, I wasn't sure what to expect from my high school friendships. On the one hand, I knew I wasn't going to be that far from home so it would be very possible to still see my friends. I also knew I would be able to call and keep up with them online. On the other hand, I knew we would all be really busy, we would all be making new friends at our new schools, and it was very possible that we would quickly drift apart. I've been so happy to see how things have turned out now that I've been out of Gainesboro for almost a full year.

Sarah and Alana came to visit me this weekend, and we had a blast. Even though we went from seeing each other pretty much every day for several years to me seeing them on a very rare basis, we are perfectly capable of picking up where we left off. I'm so glad to know that we can still have conversations even though we aren't living such similar lives and surrounded by the same people.

It's interesting to see how our friendships have evolved into something different too. This weekend we discussed books, which we've never really done before. It seems like we might be forging a new connection that will keep us close to each other even though we're going to continue to spread apart in terms of physical location. We also have the ability to make some trips we couldn't have made when we were all still at home. This weekend we went to the Hermitage, and we had a really good time. We really like nerdy museum trips, and now we're old enough to make those without a mom in tow, so I'm looking forward to future educational experiences.

I think it's safe to say that the friendships I valued so much from Jackson County have for the most part remained intact. I'm not as close as I would like to be to some of the people I graduated with, but some of the most important people in my life who were huge influences on me in Gainesboro are still there. Things aren't exactly like they used to be, but that's such a good thing because they're only getting better with age.

No comments: