Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Purpose Perhaps?

I think I should preface this entire post by saying that I am so ADD that my mind changes constantly, so no matter what I say here, it will most likely change.

I think I've found a major that I would love! Since I'm in the honors program, I can customize my major and tweak it to make it exactly what I want it to be instead of a general degree in one specific area. Knowing this, I think that I would like to study religion and literature and see how they influence each other; I would also like to look into using literature to understand a culture or an event based on religious beliefs. I'm sure there are people who do something similar to this if not this exactly in their work, but I can already see at least one huge problem I might encounter.

I don't know what you might call this major, something like "religion in literature" maybe, but the name isn't important. What is important is that I have to be able to get a job after I spend this small fortune on an education, and I'm just not sure to what field this degree might apply.

I have started every other paragraph in this post with the word I, so why stop now? I do think that this degree could have a lot of application in the real world. For instance, we now know what the puritans were thinking and how they justified what they were doing here in America, even if it wasn't very nice (I'm obviously taking American Lit right now), but the same sort of thing is currently going on all over the world. The world is not anywhere near tolerance, so wouldn't it be nice to understand what's happening on a global scale as far as religious persecution and terrorism? There is great value in understanding why people feel justified to kill other people based on their religion.

Like I said earlier, (notice I was the second word of this one) there are people who already study these matters, I would just have a more specific degree. I don't know, however, how you come across one of these jobs.

Oh well, for now I will be keeping this plan in mind--it will most likely change--and just being content with waiting on God to let me know what I'm supposed to do. I know that there is some kind of plan for my life, and I'm learning that I won't get to know about said plan in my own time, but that's okay. I will just enjoy life, and see where it takes me! (I find this closing interesting because I could see where a person could pick it apart and try to understand how my faith influences my decisions and even predict how I would react in a situation...sounds familiar!)

No comments: