Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Journey Begins

Okay, so I guess I should use this first post to explain what this thing is all about. It doesn't really have a useful purpose, although I think I put something in the description about telling my kids what college was like without having to speak to them, since that is the direction personal relationships are heading. Whatever the description says, I think it is important for me to make it very clear that I much prefer conversation in person--myspace and facebook are fun, but I would much rather be able to tell if anyone cares at all what I have to say. Anyway, now that I've completely forgotten what I was writing about here, this is really something more for myself (I'm from America, so I have the mindset that everything is about me) to chart who I am now and who I am becoming. I had another blog about the time I made the transition from middle to high school, and when I went back to read it recently, I was glad I had kept it because I learned a lot about myself from what I had written.

Now that I've had that deep moment, I guess I can really get started by saying that so far I love college; the almost two weeks that I've been here at Belmont have been pretty awesome. I'm not one of those college students who parties all the time (I've also met a lot of others, so I wish we could get away from the stereotype, but I'm also guilty of making assumptions based on nothing, so I understand). I have no idea at this point what it is that I want to major in or do with my life. They tell me that's okay, but that doesn't make it less scary since I'm spending a fortune on something that I don't even know will be useful to me in the future. I've been doing a lot of work, but I enjoy my classes for the most part, and the people here amaze me.

What I think I love most about Belmont is that it's a collection of people who fascinate me. The best way I've found to describe some of these kids is that they look like they just stepped out of a music video, and even the less emo-looking ones are fun to watch. I should add here that I am a people-watcher, and I have been known to sit on benches in public places for no other reason than to observe, so this is my kind of place. I'm making a lot of new friends, and it's strange to think about, but somewhere in the back of my mind I realize that I am becoming a new version of the same person. That sounds weird, but I can tell that I'm being shaped by the ideas and cultures of the people around me, and I am unconsciously learning new things about who I am and what I believe. This sounds really dramatic for the first two weeks of school, but I'm a little bit of a drama queen.

I'm excited about this journey that I've set out on to becoming my own person and being truly independent for the first time, so it's going to be interesting to see where I end up!

No comments: