Monday, September 1, 2008

Retreat

The University Ministries retreat this weekend was probably the first camp-like excursion I've ever been on that actually felt like a retreat in the true sense of the word. Even though I've gotten away from everyday life with groups from church several times in the past, I've never actually had the chance to personally retreat. This weekend, however, I was able to take some time off from the world and even from other people. The focus wasn't team-building exercises, nor was it constant preaching. Instead, I got to spend some time with God--about 8 hours of just us.

It was a really interesting experience because I don't ever have the time to just sit and be with God. I also don't usually have the attention span to sit around and listen to what God has to say. But this weekend, God found me right where I was and it was good. I was able to pray in a very passive way and allow him to do the talking.

I've only been in school for three days, and I'm already beginning to feel the overwhelming stress. My classes this semester require a good deal of reading and writing (as if I didn't do enough of that anyway in past semesters), and I have that feeling of having so much to do and so little time in which to do it all. I know it's going to be okay, though. I feel like I need the constant reassurance that things will work out, and this weekend I got that assurance. Of all the things I read this weekend there are two passages that stick out:

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore, do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 6:33-34

and

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
Philippians 1:6

While this semester seems overwhelming at the moment, I know that God will be in it. All I have to do is go about my life while seeking God first. If I do that, I won't have to worry about tomorrow. And I feel like right now there is so much uncertainty in my life. I still don't know if I'm supposed to stay at Belmont, and I've been led to the point where I will at least be researching other schools this semester. But whatever happens, I will be seeking God and making that my first priority.

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
Psalm 19:7-11

He has a lot of work to do in me still, but I know that he'll keep working up until the day he calls me home.

No comments: