Saturday, September 6, 2008

My Musical Devolution

I am slightly overwhelmed with homework right now, so I'm blogging to make it all go away. I am already aware of how successful I will be, but I'm going to blog anyway.

I've met a lot of new people in the last couple of weeks, and I've been asked the typical Belmont question: right after what is your name? and what is your major? comes what kind of music do you like? While this shouldn't be a hard question to answer, I've been having a little more trouble than I ever have in the past, and I'm just now noticing this and trying to figure out why.

It's funny that before I came to Belmont, where everyone is constantly listening to something, I was very similar to everyone else here. I wanted to work in radio, I looked into majoring in music business, and I was actively listening to everything I could get my hands on. I've changed a lot though since those mid-high school years, and I feel like I'm so musically ignorant now. I was convicted about what I listened to two or three years ago, and it's interesting that when God revamped what I was listening to, he also changed my desire to listen. That's not to say that I don't love music now. I still listen to quite a bit, and I still believe music is fantastic, I have just become passive in my listening. I no longer seek out music, but I take what finds me. I still enjoy it, but I'm not obsessed.

As for the question of what I listen to, I'm not really sure. I'm still obnoxiously fond of Relient K, and I have my other favorites--Michael Buble, Frank Sinatra, ABBA, and others--but it's weird that when asked what I like nothing comes to mind. What's even more weird is that I'm okay with that. I may never fit in as a Belmont kid, but that doesn't bother me, and as long as I am still able to appreciate music and musical talent, I'm content with being the weird girl who listens to whatever. I'm just so thankful that when music had become the thing I worshiped God didn't just ask me to give it up. He asked me to take a step in that direction, and then he changed my heart. I'm so thankful to know that he doesn't ask the impossible, he makes it possible!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

God's still doing that with me today...

I helped put together and run a successful concert on Friday night - and it broke my heart... because it's what I want to do... and God is calling me somewhere else.

But I'm becoming ok with it. Each and every day. :)