Sunday, November 2, 2008

Running and Reflecting

I ran the Team Nashville 10-Miler yesterday, and I found it interesting the things that come to mind when you're running ten miles. I didn't have many distractions because I was running at a pace where there were very few people--somewhere between the really slow people and the fast ones--so I got to see a lot of the scenery. When all you're doing is running, it's amazing the time you have to yourself. I had time to reflect on my semester and how stressed I've been lately. I remembered running with specific people, including every little tip they gave me. I even remembered my dad teaching me to drive and telling me to straighten out the curves on our country roads. So much to think about for an hour and a half.

It occurred to me that all these things I remembered while I was running had something in common: the people who were right beside me when these things were happening. My semester has been stressful, but it's also been awesome. I've kept my old friends (something not everyone does year two of college), and I've made some fantastic new friends. As busy as I've been I have had people to share my busyness with, and they make it worth it. And as for the people I've been running with, there have been so many and I feel like they were the only thing keeping me accountable. I didn't want to let them down now that they've been kind enough to slow themselves down to my pace and constantly offer advice. Not to mention, they've given up a good deal of time to go on longer runs with me. It's been a blast getting to know them, and I can only hope we continue running together. In both of those categories is Rebecca, who got up before the sun yesterday and was standing at the finish line. That meant more than I think she'll ever know. Dad's driving directions reminded me of the amazing parents I have. Mom ran the race with me yesterday, and Dad came to cheer us on. I have been so blessed to have great parents who love me and love each other. I'm so happy that we still find things to do together even though I'm not living at home.

The race was a good experience, and I feel like I got more out of it than exercise and a keychain. I learned something about myself yesterday that I haven't fully processed, but from what I've got so far, there are some really great people in my life. I hope they know how much they are loved and appreciated.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I am so very proud of you and your ten mile run! I wish I could have been there with Rebecca to cheer you on. Keep up the good leg work :)

Kindall said...

As long as you're here for my March half-marathon...

And I appreciate you thinking about me from all the way over there in NC.